Tips on how to be a safe & responsible driver:
1. Do not drive tired. Get plenty of sleep before you drive.
2. Do not drive impaired. Don’t drink alcohol, take drugs, or drive when you’re sick.
3. Do not drive distracted. Turn off your mobile phone, make sure your makeup is okay before you leave, read your newspaper before you leave, set your radio dial before you leave. In other words, don’t let go of the steering wheel to eat, drink, or mess with anything and concentrate on the road ahead.
4. Do drive in a space cushion. The space cushion leaves you a lot of space in front, a lot of space behind you, and plenty of space on each side. If you do have to manoeuvre suddenly, there will be plenty of space to do so.
5. Keep your eyes moving. Don’t fix your gaze dead ahead and stay with it… check your mirrors often, check your space cushion often. You need to get and maintain a picture of everything that’s developing outside the car.
6. Make a habit of using your turning indicators. If other drivers understand what you’re doing, they’re less likely to get in your way.
7. Know your vehicle intimately. How far is the the front bumper from that post or telephone pole? How far does the right mirror stick out? Are the tires aired up properly? When you expect certain performance from your car (a sudden move should happen just like you intend it to) make sure you’re familiar enough with the car to get the performance you expect. Make sure the car is serviced properly. Tyres, engine, lights, etc.
8. The difficult part: self control. Let people who want to drive faster pass you. Don’t worry about showing off. Who cares how fast your car can go? So what if you have to wait an extra light to get through the intersection. If someone blows their horn why not just let them pass? So what if you decide to let the bicycle cross the street? It’s no big deal if the truck merges in first. In other words, relax. Driving is not at all about competition
Enjoy your driving. These tips were brought to you by DSL Tuition Driving School.